Saturday, March 29, 2008

A whole lot of chaos...

  • Earlier this week I posted a blog about a little bit of chaos...Well, as the week went on I think I fully upgraded to a whole lot of chaos...
  • Okay, so the chaos that I caused trying to get home from the clinic on Monday was only the beginning. I had some requests to clarify that story...I think the shortest version is that it took Sheree's sister in Teguc., her mom, her pastor's wife, 2 nurses, and another guy at the clinic to get me home. I can explain when I get home...
  • Tuesday and Wednesday were both busy in their own rights because Sheree's mom came with a group of highschoolers to help at the clinic. Sheree was sick all week, so I was busy looking out for the group, Sheree, and the patients.
  • But really, chaos completely ensued on Thursday and Friday. The group did a complete overhaul (organizing, cleaning, painting) the emergencia both days. Thursday, after seeing a stack of patients, we started the project in the emergencia...and while people were starting around us in the emergencia I stopped to stick an IV in our dear doctor. I got her situated on a bed in the consult area, and then alternated between helping the group and giving her medications and fluids.
  • But Friday really took the cake. The emergencia was completely inaccessible for patients on Friday, which turned out to be a major bummer. We had 4 patients come through ER that day. The first one was a young guy with swelling in his brain that we had to send off to the capital, but the other 3 patients were in my charge, scattered throughout the consultation area on every available bed. The first one was a 1 year old that was very dehydrated that I had to put an IV in (I hate poking the little ones). And the next one was a hypertensive uncontrolled diabetic (220/98), that I had to manage with IV labetalol. And the last one had me praying...she was a 28 year old gal, one week post-op with malaria, with a blood pressure in the 60s (that's bad). I literally stood at her bedside squeezing fluid into her and holding her hand for 2 hours before we could get her sent to the hospital. There's so much more that I could add but I know that this is a novel already...
  • Last week had some truly amazing moments, but was definitely a whole lot of chaos...

1 comment:

Carol said...

We've been praying for you... and for Sheree to get well. I'm hoping you are enjoying the visit from other English speakers! Do any of them speak much Spanish?
How are your language skills coming?
Well, I have to go get ready for church, more later,
Love and miss you,
MOM